Butterfly Sparks Designs

Friday, October 16, 2009

Spices Etc. and Mo Hotta Mo Betta

NOTE: I prepared this post last week before Cecilia arrived so just in case anyone was wondering how I had the time to blog, I don't, I just planned ahead!

I have been a pretty loyal blogger in Kelly's Show Us Your Life Friday series and this Friday was one that I did not want to miss. This week is a great week to show everyone what my husband does every day-run two family businesses: Spices Etc. and Mo Hotta Mo Betta. I am not going to link it to Kelly's blog since we don't make and/or sell all the items but thought this was a great time to showcase our small businesses.





Spices Etc.

Spices Etc. is the reason that Jimmy and I are together! Jimmy's family bought the business in 1998 and it was located in Charlottesville. He moved to Charlottesville from Savannah to run the business. He moved into a basement apartment in Charlottesville and it ended up that his next door neighbors were the Matthews-as in Dave Matthew's parents! That is a fun story for another post. I worked at a bank the summer between my 3rd and 4th year and Jimmy would come in daily to make his business deposits so that is how we met! Jimmy and his family moved the business to Savannah in the spring of 2000 and I moved to Savannah after graduation.

Spices Etc. is any novice or gourmet cooks dream. They carry the best quality herbs, spices and spice blends and have huge selection of the best gourmet flavorings. Cooks Illustrated featured their vanilla flavoring as one of the best several years back. They carry your everyday spices to the more unusual and hard to find. They recently added dried vegetables to their growing list of great products and they have quickly become very popular. I am sure that everyone will be thinking of cooking as the holidays approach so be sure to check out Spices Etc. for your cooking needs! It also makes a great gift for the cooks in your life!

Vanilla Extract-you always need vanilla! Comes in regular and two-fold.


I think this is a great gift, especially for a new homeowner or for friends and family that need the basic spices: Beginners Spice Set.




Mo Hotta Mo Betta

In the summer of 2000, Jimmy and his family added another business to complement Spices Etc. Mo Hotta Mo Betta is the "original hot and spicy food company." They have their own brand of hot sauces, BBQ sauces and condiment sauces and carry many other favorites. They have some great gift baskets for special occasions, especially Christmas for those hard to buy for husbands, dads, brothers, etc.

Here is a great sampler of the Mo Hotta Mo Betta Hot Sauces: The Mo Hotta Mo Betta Four-Pack


This is one of my favorite gift baskets: BBQ Joints Across America


They offer lots more so be sure to check out their websites! I am so proud of Jimmy for running two successful small businesses!

I also did want to give a little shout out to some of my friends and acquaintances that have their own businesses. They are very talented and creative women!

Bowtangles
My friend Angie makes the best custom hair bows. They range from $6-$12. You can email her at bowtangles@gmail.com.


Molly Rosedale
Custom jewelry available through Etsy.

Backyard Baby
Adorable kids personalized t-shirts and accessories

1 comment: