Butterfly Sparks Designs

Friday, September 18, 2009

Show us Your Life-Dinner Recipes

I am once again participating in Kelly's Korner Friday and today's theme is dinner recipes. What a great idea! We all get stuck in a rut so it is nice to get some recommendations of tried and true recipes rather than searching aimlessly through a cookbook for something new only to be disappointed in the end! I always find that church, civic groups or school cookbooks are the best because they really do contain good recipes that are easy to make. My perfect week of cooking is to make something on Sunday that can be leftovers for Monday. Something easy on Tuesday (maybe soup and sandwich). I work Monday and Tuesdays all day so not much time once I get home to cook and we prefer not to eat too late. Wed and Thursday I try to make something yummy, lately it has been fish and Friday and Saturday are up in the air as we generally eat out one of those days.

The following recipe is from our church-Isle of Hope Methodist and their recent cookbook Mosses, Marshes and Memorable Meals. One of our church members, Martha Nesbitt is a well-known cook in the south and also has collaborated with Savannah's best known cook, Paula Deen.

Chicken Tetrazzini

1 (8 ounce) package thin spaghetti
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms (canned or fresh)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup sherry (optional)
1 (8 ounce) package grated sharp cheddar cheese
6-8 green onions
1 (2 ounce) jar pimiento , chopped
3-4 cups cooked chicken breasts cut into pieces ( you could probably even use a rotiss. chicken)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook spaghetti 4 minutes after coming to a boil; drain and place in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Saute onions and green pepper in butter. Add mushrooms. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk and broth; cook and stir until thick. Stir in sherry. Add half of cheese and remaining ingredients to sauce and mix well. Spread chicken on top of spaghetti. Spoon mixure into baking dish on top of chicken. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

This is great leftover, for large families, and can also be frozen.

One of my other easy go to faves is the frozen chicken pot pie at Fresh Market. It is yummy and costs around 10-12 dollars.

2 comments:

Luke and Courtney Brewer said...

Ooh, that sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try. Each week, I try to mostly do our old standards and pick one new recipe to try on the weekends. I'll let you know how mine turns out! :-)

Courtney @ One Fine Wire said...

Great blog! I just found you on Kelly's Korner and thought I'd drop in. I like what I see!

If you are ever interested in a new blog makeover, I'd love to work with you some day!
www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

My personal blog:
www.finewire.blogspot.com

Have a great day!