Butterfly Sparks Designs

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Preschool Mafia

As I sit here at midnight, after being woken up by acid reflux (the joys of being pregnant) I have decided the Preschool Mafia exists. The Preschool Mafia consists of parents (mostly, moms) who purposely withhold important information and it ends up making us first-time moms-of-preschoolers look like we don't know what we are doing.

For example:

1. I was in charge of the Valentine's Day party for Jimmy's mothers-morning-out program (which was only two mornings a week for 3 hours). I got a note from his teachers about the party and it said to bring in some cupcakes or cookies. I made some cute little mini cupcakes, perfect for 2 year olds, and decorated them red and white for Valentine's Day. I thought they looked pretty darn cute. When I went to pick him up he had a whole bag of Valentines from all of his friends, most that came with a "goody bag" of treats and a Valentine card "signed" by his classmate! Nobody told me about Valentine's!! I didn't even really think of it because my son is TWO and has been know to draw on the furniture and walls so crayons, let alone pens or markers, were currently banished from our house.

2. Registration for preschool. Jimmy did the mothers morning out program last year, which come to find out, is not the same as preschool, so when preschool registration came around I turned my form in a reasonable time, but not on the first day of year which is when you could "officially" turn them in. I just assumed (I guess that is what the Preschool Mafia counts on!) that since he did the program before and we are members of the church he would get preference. WRONG!!! He got a spot but on Wed/Fri and not T/Thurs which was my preference since it works best for my work schedule and my parents schedule. I am still hoping to work that one out.

3. Apparently, there is some waiting list that I need to get on now if I want Jimmy to go to camp in 4 years. What?

Is this all supposed to be common sense? If so, then I am lacking in that department, apparently.

I think I am going to have to up my game or maybe start blogging more about the times when I think to myself "Nobody told me that!!" so that other normal moms don't end up looking like they don't have a clue!

No comments: